Eero Saarinen, United States Embasy, London, Under Construction, (1957-1960)
The “Space Frame” concrete ceiling, awkwardly interrupted by piers, was evidently modeled on Louis Kahn’s Yale Art Gallery
St. Ludwig Church, Saarlouis, Germany by Gottfried Böhm.
Frank Sinatra, Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart
things girls do that I love:
- offer their friends sips of their coffee drinks without being asked
- scratch each others back
- say things like “smell this lotion I bought this weekend”
- compliment each other’s eyebrows
- that thing when they agree with you and their eyes get really wide and they nod their head solemnly
- throw out each others gum wrappers or chip bags when they get up
"In an effort to get people to look
into each other’s eyes more,
and also to appease the mutes,
the government has decided
to allot each person exactly one hundred
and sixty-seven words, per day.
When the phone rings, I put it to my ear
without saying hello. In the restaurant
I point at chicken noodle soup.
I am adjusting well to the new way.
Late at night, I call my long distance lover,
proudly say I only used fifty-nine today.
I saved the rest for you.
When she doesn’t respond,
I know she’s used up all her words,
so I slowly whisper I love you
thirty-two and a third times.
After that, we just sit on the line
and listen to each other breathe.”
— Jeffrey McDaniel